Monday, June 28, 2010

Ethan turns 4!!

4 years ago (on the 20th) I was having a baby surgically removed after making no headway with the progression of labor. Not to mention all the other problems that arose as the day went on.

At 4:20 Ethan was brought into this world. 6 lbs 11 oz and 20 1/2 inches.

Honestly I don't really remember much. Bits and pieces of that night.

Here is what I remember:

Laying on the surgical table
Freezing cold
Arms stretched out and strapped to the arm boards
Shaking uncontrollably
Slipping in and out of awareness
Being really frustrated that they insisted on putting a stupid partition up so I couldn't see a thing
Turning my head just in time to see them holding a blurry blue baby around the partition and then realizing he was gone again
Being so thankful that Bill was there to support me and then to hold our little one and beam with overwhelming joy

Watching the Bill and the nurse move my legs to a different bed and not being able to feel a thing
Holding the most amazing part of humanity you will ever encounter
Being afraid of dropping this beautiful bundle because I was still shaking and asking Bill to hold under my arm
People coming in and out of the room (keepsake pictures are such a wonderful thing)
Waking up in a completely different room, with completely different family members, and no child
Having Bill call again to find out where he was and how long they were planning on keeping him from us

He didn't join us again until 1:30 in the morning. Something about his temperature not being stable. I think I tried to block it out.

And 4 years later I can't believe how big he is, how fast it has gone, and how much more life he has to live. He amazes us every day.





No comments:

Post a Comment